Characteristics of Outstanding Exemplification Essay
While writing an illustrative or exemplification essay, students should cite appropriate examples in order to make their argument strong and support the already mentioned statements as well as a thesis statement. A high-quality paper has to include up-to-date and reliable academic peer-reviewed sources. Therefore, having gathered supportive materials, a student can start thinking about the paper’s structure and other supportive ideas. Remember that accurate data is very important in this type of paper. Real life examples can definitely impress the readers and ensure validity of the given claims. It is hard to achieve success without being precisely thorough while choosing examples.
What Is Exemplification Essay?
It seems that once you think that you have finally got to know all the kinds of academic papers and cannot be taken by surprise anymore, a professor makes up something new to challenge you and your knowledge. Well, at least, a thought like that is likely to pop into your head once you receive an assignment to write an exemplification essay. You have never heard of it, have you? Do not worry. The majority of students have not. Still, if you had to write an argumentative essay at least one time in your life, this task will not be that of new. In fact, an exemplification paper is also about persuading a reader of a certain point of view but with substantial relying on specific and detailed examples. Thus, it requires that student use many facts, statistics, and anecdotal stories to defend own stance.
How to Choose an Essay Topic?
Selection of a topic will not cause much trouble. First, the similarity to an argumentative essay gives you a great advantage in this regard. You probably know that argumentative topic should be based on a controversy. In other words, it should have no right answer but rather two opposing views, which allows a student to take a position. Fortunately, the same concerns a topic for the paper with exemplification. Second, you need to choose a topic that has much available data connected with it. As explained above, you will have to use a lot of facts and statistics. Without these, you are doomed.
Check a couple of topic examples that might inspire you to create own one. For instance:
- Should school uniform be obligatory in all educational institutions?
- Is college degree needed to succeed in the modern society?
- Should marijuana be decriminalized all over the world?
- Should studying in college be free of charge for everyone?
- Should gun control laws be stricter?
As you can see, each topic allows you to pick a side. Besides, each of them is like to have an abundance of statistical data that may easily be used to back up whatever position you have. However, mind you’re your essay should not necessarily reflect you real opinion about the topic as long as you offer solid proofs and sound reasoning. If you still have a difficulty with imagining what kind of topic is suitable, you are encouraged to look for an example of exemplification essay. It will be of big help.
So that you could be aware of what to avoid, check out a few poor topics for an exemplification paper:
- What is your favorite film? – The topic is bad since; first, it cannot be support with fact and statistics. Second, it is too personal.
- How is wine produced? – Although there are definitely many facts related to it, the topic is not arguable or controversial. It has a right answer.
- Is medicine beneficial? – The topic is one-sided, and the correct position is too obvious.
How to Write an Exemplification Essay?
Now, as you are familiar with the definition of an exemplification essay and the way to choose an appropriate topic, you are ready to go deeper into the tenets of writing process. There are two ways to approach this procedure. First, you may get down to writing right away. Beyond doubt, there are those people for who this strategy will work perfectly well, but it is a very risky undertaking. The second approach is for those who prefer to be more cautious and are not afraid of planning. If you settle down on the second option, here are the steps that you will have to go through in order to get a decent exemplification paper.
- Step 1. Brainstorm and Outline. Although in most of the guides, brainstorming and outlining are presented as two separate actions, they can hardly work without one another. Therefore, they are combined here. At this point, you need to come up with as many ideas that develop and support your position as possible and try to arrange them, for instance, from the least to the most important. They will constitute the main part of your paper, namely a body. Then, you should leave some room for an introduction and conclusion in your outline. The amount of information that you may include in these two sections depends on the length of the paper and your preferences.
- Step 2. Create an Introduction. The format of an introduction is not fixed, and you may change it up to your needs. However, there still some rules that should be followed. First, it should be straight-to-the-point. You should avoid including irrelevant information. Second, there must be a hook at the beginning of the introduction to grab a reader’s attention. Finally, you should compose an excellent thesis statement that will show your stance and briefly articulate your main arguments. You may search for an exemplification essay sample and check out how a typical introduction in such papers looks like.
- Step 3. Work on Body Paragraphs. With a well-thought-out outline, composing body paragraphs will be a piece of cake. It will be similar to doing a simple task of filling in the gaps. Each body paragraph should have a topic sentence, concluding sentence, and the vast amount of solid evidence since, as you remember, it is an exemplification paper. The number of paragraphs depends on your professor’s requirements. If this information is not specified, you may choose to follow a standard 5-paragraph essay format.
- Step 4. Conclude. Finally, you create a conclusion that repeats your thesis statement in different words, summarizes the main arguments, and contains your final thoughts on the subject to ensure that the essay provides a sense of completeness. Once you are done with this step, you might want to take a pause and revise the paper in a while. Then, proofread it to make sure your paper is perfect up to the tiniest detail. If you have doubts regarding the essay, you may benefit from some writing and editing assistance at PrimeEssays.com.
We encourage students to use the following structure while writing an exemplification essay:
- Valuable ideas
- Comprehensive data about the raised subject
- Obvious facts
- Relevant data supporting the made statement
While discussing the chosen issue using true stories, it is better to make certain that every mentioned example corresponds to your personal opinion as well as the theme of the essay. Keep in mind the fact that your goal is to find as many useful sources as possible, which can provide you with the most helpful facts, events, examples that will make your statement even stronger. If you feel that your paper has some contradictive examples, then it is suggested to remove them totally, or change some arguments and statements of your paper. It is important to keep in mind that all information provided in your work has to support your thesis statement. On the other hand, there are cases when you are required to deeply examine a number of exceptions, and then it is fine to provide both opposing and supporting examples for the key point.
The Structure of Exemplification Paper
This type of essay should be based on solid facts. Consequently, strong arguments should be used to support all made claims regarding the chosen subject. In order to grab the attention of the readers, a strong introduction should be written. Some students find it rather helpful to introduce the matter by writing a short joke or a story. It will prompt the readers to read further and remember the key points.
Talking about the body of an exemplification essay, one should remember to include arguments, facts, and statistical data regarding the discussed issue. Details are important, but be careful using too much of them, since you can confuse the readers and make your statements unreasonable. All the information should be presented smoothly and logically. Therefore, we suggest to use such transitions as “moreover, on the one hand, on the other hand, as a matter of fact, furthermore, etc.” both between the paragraphs and sentences.
A conclusion presents a summary of the whole paper. The last several sentences should not have any citations or statistical data. It is evident that by this section you also want to impress the readers. For that reason, you want to present a concluding section that will appeal to all your potential readers.
Let us know the requirements and we'll help you with your essay
You May Find These Interesting:
Evaluative Essay Explanation Essay Exploratory Essay Extended Essay
How to Write an Exemplification Essay
What is an Exemplification Essay
From the word example, an exemplification essay uses examples to elaborate or support a certain claim. It is a way of expressing a generalization supported with examples wherein you can use a collection of ideas in relevance to your subject. You will need examples to be able to explain, elaborate, and prove your point or argument. It can be brief, comprehensive, or both. By having enough details and using specific examples, you will have a good essay. For this to happen, follow the tips listed below on how to write an exemplification essay.
How To: Exemplification Essay Writing Tips
Think of how your readers will feel about your subject or topic. And when you write an exemplification essay, you have to find, gather, and provide a lot of examples to support your generalization.
When you pick an example, make sure that it is relevant to your topic, otherwise your readers will be confused. Direct to the point. Though you have loads of examples, which are necessary, you should only choose the ones that are significant to what you are writing. In other words, include only the strongest examples.
Make a list of all your examples so that it will be easier for you to choose which ones you will describe in your essay. It is the same as making an outline to keep track of every detail.
Aside from facts, you can also use short stories and anecdotes, as examples in supporting your generalization, as long as they are of relevance to your topic. Be careful in choosing your examples and make sure that your readers can relate to it and make sure they will get your point.
Your examples should also be representative, which means they should reflect the majority and represent what is usually happening to most individuals.
For your readers to have a better understanding of what you are trying to exemplify, make sure that they will be able to follow your chain of ideas. To avoid confusion, do not include less common situations when providing examples.
You can also do a research on samples of exemplification essay so you will have a reference when doing your own essay. Take note on the subject or the topic, as well as the format in the samples you find. They will help you fully understand what an exemplification essay really is.
As stated above, an exemplification essay employs a series of examples with the aim of providing an illustration to a point. Therefore, using a good exemplification essay outline in the provision of these examples will ensure that the paper delivers the point in question at its entirety. Below we will provide the purpose and process of developing an outline that is used in the delivery of an exemplification essay. By sampling the outline of an exemplification essay, it is going to be possible to determine some of the key elements that are associated with such types of papers.
Purpose of an exemplification essay outline
The purpose of an outline in an exemplification essay is to allow for the delivery of the paper in a manner that expounds different exemplars that ensure that the general message is delivered in an understandable manner. For instance, the introduction of the exemplar is within the outline format with the intention of providing the reader with a rough idea of what to be expected within the paper. The introduction could be broken down into paragraphs with the last paragraph containing the thesis statement that is a summation of the key points to be supported or argued against within the exemplification paper.
The purpose of the exemplification essay outline is also to provide the reader with some of the key points to be argued within the paper. This means that each one of the subheadings would contain the main points to be discussed within that section of the paper. This makes it easy for the person reading the exemplification essay to identify different key issues being addressed by simply skimming through the paper. This also allows for the instructor to award the student or individual writing the exemplification paper with appropriate points for ensuring that each of the key points has been pointed out and thus addressed to the full.
Process of writing an exemplification essay
The process of writing an exemplification essay includes the preparation process. This means going through the instructions so that one can identify each element as pointed out at their entirety. This allows for the identification of the key issues to be addressed in the paper. The researcher should also go through the texts, if provided by the instructor, so that one can gather the ideas needed in the preparation of the exemplification paper. It is also important to identify other sources that could provide the researcher with the appropriate content that would ensure that the exemplification essay is easy to understand.
Developing a rough draft should allow the student to identify the key topics that are required for the completion of the exemplification essay. It is also important to identify different sources that are associated with each section of the paper. This is so that the exemplification paper can be found to contain relevant examples within each one of the sections. It is also important to identify different issues that may be contained in the exemplification essay during the development of the rough draft. Upon completion of the essay, it is crucial to develop the final draft and have another person correct the paper by going through it carefully. This ensures that the final paper satisfies all the requirements in the instructions.
EXEMPLIFICATION ESSAY OUTLINE SAMPLE
Below is a sample of the exemplification essay:
A. Introduction of the exemplification essay
- This part of the paper should have a hook. The purpose of the hook is to interest the audience.
- The introduction also provides a brief explanation of the plot or the theme to be explored in the paper and thus the reason the theme was selected.
- This part of the exemplification essay provides an understanding of the kind of audience that should benefit from reading the paper.
- The introduction ends in a well-rounded thesis statement that prepares the reader for the different arguments and examples to be used in the paper.
B. Body of the exemplification essay
- Example 1
- Example 2
- Example 3
C. Conclusion of the exemplification essay
- The conclusion starts with a restated thesis statement that provides one with the required information that allows for the development of the required solution.
- The conclusion can also provide an appropriate action that can result in the resolution of any issues that are identified in the exemplification paper.
- The exemplification essay also provides details of different implications that one could have identified in the paper.
- The conclusion also provides the reader with thoughts to think about upon completing the readership.
Things to Remember About Writing Exemplification Essay Outline
It is important to remember that exemplars are written around a thesis statement. Therefore, the exemplification paper should be written in a format that surrounds the key pointers that have originally been identified in the thesis statement. It is also important to remember that one can use as many examples as possible within the paper. However, it is important to ensure that the examples used in the paper are relevant to the issue being addressed within the paper. Therefore, it is crucial that the author begins the paper with the strongest most relevant examples, and ends with the weaker examples. This should ensure that the basis of all the stated requirements have been addressed in the paper.
One can also find that different examples used in the paper may result into a different conclusion and thus one can mold the thesis statement to fit these conclusions as found in the paper. The paper could also be organized such that different examples start with the least controversial and finish off with the most controversial ones. One can also choose to start off with the most important examples and finish off with the least important one. The general idea is to follow a pattern that either creates a better understanding in the reader or provides the reader with details of the most important examples.
The exemplar is as good as an effective outline. This is because the outline of the paper should provide the reader with all the details they need to identify different issues that can be used to determine the general conclusion of the paper. It is important that the development of the outline goes hand in hand with the available content so that the subtopics used in the paper align with the thesis statement. However, upon revising the paper, one can change different topics so that the solutions to be identified in the paper result in finding the appropriate solution expected for the problems raised in the paper.
EXEMPLIFICATION ESSAY TOPICS
Below theres a list of creative exemplification essay topics to be considered for writing.
- Discuss the impact of the current level of technologies on our culture.
- Examine the impact that the growing number of fast food restaurants has had on America.
- Debate on the impact that hoarding has on families.
- Deliberate the impact that online education has had on traditional education.
- Converse the impact that businesses feel from social networking.
- Discuss the impact of religion in the modern culture.
- Should everyone receive free medical care?
- Is a college degree necessary in the modern society?
- Should schools enforce any religious beliefs on their students?
- Are gun regulations tough enough?
Frequently Asked Questions About Writing an Exemplification Essay
What is the Purpose of an Exemplification Essay?
An exemplification essay exists to prove a point. In writing the exemplification essay, you must put forward arguments and reasons why you have taken a stance or chosen a particular point of view. To do this, the writer must include detailed information and credible sources.
How to Write an Introduction for an Exemplification Essay?
To introduce your exemplification essay, you will want to give an outline of your main idea or thesis on the chosen topic. Explain what your point is and give an indication of how you plan to prove your point to the reader.
How to Write a Thesis Statement for an Exemplification Essay?
In order to write a thesis statement for an exemplification essay, you need a firm understanding of the topic and its main points. Based on this, you will formulate your main point or idea that you want to argue and from this you will draft your thesis statement.
What is a Good Hook For an Exemplification Essay?
A good hook for an exemplification essay is one that is guaranteed to grab the readers attention. This includes, but is not limited to, a relevant anecdote, quote, statistic or question.
Is There a Difference Between an Illustration Essay and an Exemplification Essay?
A well-written illustration essay explains how to use something and does so with the support of detailed information and evidence on how to use. An exemplification essay is written to prove a point. Based on the definitions, it could be stated that an illustration essay and exemplification essay are similar as both are used to explain and prove a point.
What is a Good Exemplification Essay Topic?
A good exemplification essay topic is one that is not too narrow or broad so that it is difficult to determine the main point/thesis and to argue it. Good exemplification essay topics allow for exploration of ideas with a variety of sources for information.
What are Exemplification Essay Transition Words?
Exemplification essay transition words include such as words as: for example, for instance, to illustrate, to demonstrate, etc.
How to Write a Conclusion Paragraph for an Exemplification Essay?
In the conclusion for an exemplification essay, restate your thesis and summarize your main points. Be sure to leave your reader with at least one main point that you want them to recollect.
To sum up, writing an exemplification essay is more about using examples to defend or support an argument, or claim. Brief examples are commonly used in an essay, but using concise details will illustrate the ideas clearer. And make sure that your way of writing is unambiguous. Still having trouble? Go over the tips outlined above on how to write an exemplification essay or let experts help you with it.Place Order Now